Hokies fall to No. 25 Georgia Tech
Women's tennis will host Clemson on Sunday in final home match
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 66 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell to 25th-ranked Georgia Tech, 7-0 on Saturday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va. The Hokies drop to 12-9 overall and 3-5 in the ACC while Georgia Tech improves to 10-9 and 4-4 in the league.
Georgia Tech took the 1-0 lead after sweeping the doubles matches to claim the point.
The 17th-ranked Jillian O’Neill put the Yellow Jackets up 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-2 win against Martha Blakely
at the No. 1. In the No. 3 singles, No. 108 Elizabeth Kilborn gave the Yellow Jackets a 3-0 advantage, defeating Isel Martinez-Marcos
, 6-3, 6-1.
Georgia Tech clinched the team win as No. 85 Caroline Lilley held off Shannon Betts
in the No. 2 singles with scores of 6-2, 6-4.
In the No. 5 singles, Hokie freshman Carol Kahoun
battled Jasmine Minor to three sets. After falling in the opening set, 6-4, Kahoun came back strong for a 6-1 win in the second set. Minor responded in the third set, claiming the win, 6-3.
The Hokies will wrap up the regular season home schedule on Sunday, hosting No. 24 Clemson in a noon match at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #17 Jillian O’Neill (GT) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 6-1, 6-2
2. #85 Caroline Lilley (GT) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 6-2, 6-4
3. #108 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jasmine Minor (GT) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
1. #10 Anghelescu/O’Neill (GT) def. Betts/Rauscher (VT) 8-6
2. Blau/Kilborn (GT) def. Blakely/Katie Blow
3. Viet Ha Ngo/Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Emily Lauten
/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-2
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).