April 13, 2012
Hokies drop match to No. 33 Florida State
Women's tennis will remain in Florida to face Miami on Sunday
|(33) Florida State||7|
|(70) Virginia Tech||0|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 70 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to No. 33 Florida State on Friday afternoon at the Scott Spelcher Tennis Center in Tallahassee, Fla.
The Hokies (10-11, 3-7 ACC) fell behind 1-0 after the Seminoles (12-8, 5-5 ACC) swept the doubles matches.
Florida State extended its lead with a win in the No. 6 singles as Amy Sargeant had a 6-1, 6-4 win against Tea Ivanovic. In the No. 3 singles, Mia Vriens defeated Isel Martinez-Marcos, 6-1, 6-3 to put the Seminoles up 3-0.
The Seminoles clinched the team win in the No. 2 singles. Leyla Erkan held off Shannon Betts for a 6-3, 6-4 decision.
Tech will travel south to Coral Gables, Fla. to face No. 9 Miami on Sunday, April 15 at noon.
1. Ruth Seabourne (FSU) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 6-2, 7-5
2. Leyla Erkan (FSU) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 6-3, 6-4
3. Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-1, 6-3
4. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Carolina De Los Santos (FSU) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT) 6-1, 6-4
1. Seabourne/Sargeant (FSU) def. Betts/Rauscher (VT) 8-3
2. Erkan/Vriens (VT) def. Blakely/Blow (VT) 8-4
3. De Los Santos/Segarelli (FSU) def. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-1
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).