Tech falters against No. 9 Miami
Women's tennis will be in action at the ACC Championships this week
| (9) Miami ||7|
| (70) Virginia Tech||0|
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The 70th-ranked Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell to ninth ranked Miami, 7-0 on Sunday afternoon in Coral Gables, Fla.
Miami (15-3, 9-2 ACC) got out to the 1-0 lead after sweeping the doubles matches against the Hokies (12-12, 3-8 ACC).
In singles matches, UM’s 25th-ranked Gabriela Mateus secured a 6-2, 6-1 decision against Shannon Betts
in the No. 2 to give the Hurricanes a 2-0 advantage in the match.
Tech fell back 3-0 as Courtney Rauscher
faltered in the No. 3 singles against 61st-ranked Lina Lileikite, 6-1, 6-2.
Miami secured the four points needed for the team victory with a win in the No. 4 singles. The Hurricanes’ Liat Zimmerman secured a 6-1, 6-2 win against Carol Kahoun
The Hokies will be back on the court this week at the ACC
Women’s Tennis Championships, April 19-22 in Cary, N.C.
2. #25 Gabriela Mateus (UM) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 6-2, 6-1
3. #61 Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-1, 6-2
4. Liat Zimmerman (UM) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Brittany Dubins (UM) def. Katie Blow
(VT) 6-2, 6-4
1. #12 Boliver/Zimmerman (UM) def. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) 8-4
2. Lileikite/Mateus (UM) def. Betts/Blow (VT) 8-1
3. Bartenstein/Dubins (UM) def. Ivanovic/Kahoun (VT) 8-4
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).