CARY, N.C. – The Virginia Tech women’s tennis team was eliminated in the first round of the ACC Championship on Thursday afternoon, falling 4-0 to No. 32 Florida State at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, N.C. FSU improves to 13-9 on the season while the Hokies fall to 12-13.
The 10th-seeded Hokies picked up a win in the doubles matches as Shannon Betts and Katie Blow paired up in the No. 2 match to defeat the FSU duo of Mia Vriens and Leyla Erkin with a score of 9-7. The Seminoles picked up the point however after winning the other two doubles matches.
In singles, the seventh seeded Seminoles went up 2-0 in the match with a win in the No. 3 as Francesca Segarelli notched a 6-1, 6-0 decision against Isel Martinez-Marcos.
The Seminoles took a 3-0 lead with a win in the No. 4 match. Amy Sargeant defeated Carol Kahoun, 6-2, 6-2. FSU secured the team win in the No. 6 singles where Carolina De Los Santos picked up a 6-4, 6-3 decision against Tea Ivanovic.
Betts and Martha Blakely led in their respective singles matches before play was halted. Betts was up 6-4, 3-0 on Erkin in the No. 2 while Blakely held a 7-5, 0-2 lead on Ruth Seabourne in the No. 1 singles.
1. Martha Blakely (VT) led Ruth Seabourne (FSU) 7-5, 0-2 dnf
2. Shannon Betts (VT) led Leyla Erkin (FSU) 6-4, 3-0 dnf
3. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-1, 6-0
4. Mia Vriens (FSU) led Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-4, 4-1 dnf
5. Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Carolina De Los Santos (FSU) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT) 6-4, 6-3
1. Seabourne/Sargeant (FSU) def. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) 9-7
2. Betts/Katie Blow (VT) def. Vriens/Erkin (FSU) 9-7
3. De Los Santos/Segarelli (FSU) def. Ivanovic/Kahoun (VT) 8-1
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).