BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 68 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team made it back-to-back wins this weekend as it took down the Richmond Spiders, 7-0, at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
The Hokies (8-2) began the day earning the doubles point by way of an 8-3 win by Tea Ivanovic/ Carol Kahoun over Richmond’s (3-8) Mariana Arana/Ripley Hartmeyer on court 3. It was followed by an 8-5 win in the No. 1 spot as Raluca Mita/ Kelly Williford defeated Melissa Kandinata/Katya Salas. The court 2 match was not decided as the point was already won.
Tech kept things going in singles play as Kahoun was the first to finish and earn the Hokies their first singles point when she knocked off Arana 6-1, 6-0 on court 5. Ivanovic added the Tech’s point total when she defeated Richmond’s Georgina Pons Cano, 6-0, 6-1 in the sixth spot.
Freshman Ilinca Stoica didn’t need to go the distance this afternoon as she topped Melissa Kandinata, 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 1 spot and clinched the win for the Hokies.
Rounding out the day was a long win for Martinez-Marcos, who defeated Abadias Morales 6-2, 6-2, and a 6-4, 7-5 win for Kelly Williford in the No. 3 spot.
The Hokies return to the court on Saturday, March 9 and will host Marshall in a Noon match at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. Ilinca Stoica (VT) def Melissa Kandinata (UR) – 6-0, 6-3
2. Isel Martiniez Marcos (VT) def Anna Abadias Morales (UR) – 6-2, 6-2
3. Kelly Williford (VT) def Katya Salas (UR) – 6-4, 7-5
4. Raluca Mita (VT) def Elizabeth Sims (UR) – 6-2, 6-2
5. Carol Kahoun (VT) def Mariana Arana (UR) – 6-1, 6-0
6. Tea Ivanovic (VT) def Georgina Pons Cano (UR) – 6-0, 6-1
Finish: 5, 6, 1*, 4, 2, 3
1. Raluca Mita/ Kelly Williford (VT) def Melissa Kandinata/Katya Salas (UR) – 8-5
2. Emily Lauten/ Ilinca Stoica (VT) vs Alexandra Smyth/Anna Abadias Morales (UR) – 6-6 (ret)
3. Tea Ivanovic/ Carol Kahoun (VT) def Mariana Arana/Ripley Hartmeyer (UR) – 8-3
Finish: 3, 1*, 2 (ret)
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).