BLACKSBURG, Va. – In a marathon match that took over four hours the No. 63 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team took down Marshall, 4-3, at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech Campus. Junior Isel Martinez-Marcos claimed a three-set win in the No. 2 spot to clinch the victory for the Hokies.
Tech (9-2) began the day taking the doubles point winning two of the three matches. The Hokies’ first win of the day came in the No. 2 slot at Tea Ivanovic and Raluca Mita defeated Ellie Ball/ Kara Kucin of Marshall (6-5) 8-2. The freshman duo of Ilinca Stoica and Kelly Williford clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win over Dominika Zapranza/ Maria Voscekova in the No. 1 spot.
Mita started things off for the Hokies in singles play as she claimed the 6-1, 6-4 victory over Ball in the No. 4 spot, while Ivanovic added to Tech’s point total with a come-from-behind, three-set win (4-6, 6-4, 6-2) over Karlyn Timko. In the only other two-set matches of the day, Williford fell to Voscekova 6-1, 6-2 on Court 3, and Marshall’s Kai Broomfield defeated Carol Kahoun, 6-2, 7-5.
Things came down to No. 1 and No. 2 singles as both went to three sets. Isel Martinez-Marcos clinched the match for the Hokies when she knocked off Dana Oppinger (6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4) on Court 2. Zapranza defeated Stoica in the top spot, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, but the Hokies had the win.
The Hokies will return to action Sunday, March 10 as they begin conference play hosting Maryland. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m.
1. Dominika Zapranza (MU) def. Ilinca Stoica (VT) – 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Dana Oppinger (MU) – 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4
3. Maria Voscekova (MU) def. Kelly Williford (VT) – 6-1, 6-2
4. Raluca Mita (VT) def. Ellie Ball (MU) – 6-1, 6-4
5. Kai Broomfield (MU) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) – 6-2, 7-5
6. Tea Ivanovic (VT) def. Karlyn Timko (MU) – 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
1. Ilinca Stoica/ Kelly Williford (VT) def. Dominika Zapranza/ Maria Voscekova (MU) – 8-5
2. Tea Ivanovic/ Raluca Mita (VT) def. Ball/ Kucin (MU) – 8-2
3. Carol Kahoun/ Emily Lauten (VT) vs. Karlyn Timko/ Dana Oppinger (MU) – 6-4
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).