|(56) Virginia Tech||7|
HAMMOND, La. – The No. 56 women’s tennis team kicked off Spring Break sweeping Southern University, 7-0, at the SLU Tennis Center on the Southeastern Louisiana campus.
Tech (11-2) started the day off winning the doubles point courtesy of a pair of commanding victories in the No. 2 and 3 spots. Carol Kahoun and Emily Lauten paired up to earn the 8-1 win over Gabrielle Moore/Lois Alexis, and Megan Conley and Kelly Williford helped clinch the point with an 8-2 win over Danielle Dixon/ Kendall Bunch of Southern (5-7).
Lauten and Tea Ivanovic tacked two more wins on for the Hokies as Lauten took down Morgan Taylor, 6-3, 6-1, in the No. 5 spot, and Ivanovic dominated Bunch on Court 6 byway of a 6-0, 6-1 win.
Carol Kahoun handily beat Alexis on Court 4 in the first set, 6-2, but used a 7-6(5) tiebreak to eventually get the win. Williford was part of the only three-set match of the day and she was able to come out on top with a 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (5) win over Laura Syori.
1. Tea Ivanovic/ Raluca Mita (VT) vs. Gabrielle Moore/Lois Alexis (SU)- DNF
2. Carol Kahoun/ Emily Lauten (VT) def. Morgan Taylor/ Camara Davis (SU) - 8-1
3. Megan Conley/ Kelly Williford (VT) def. Danielle Dixon Kendall Bunch (SU) 8-2
1. Ilinca Stoica (VT) def. Demetria Woods (SU) - 6-2, 6-3
2. Raluca Mita (VT) def. Gabrielle Moore (SU) - 6-2, 6-3
3. Kelly Williford (VT) def. Laura Syori (SU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
4. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Lois Alexis (SU) - 6-2, 7-6(5)
5. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Morgan Taylor (SU) - 6-3, 6-1
6. Tea Ivanovic (VT) def. Kendall Bunch (SU) - 6-0, 6-1
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).