|(63) Boston College||3|
|(56) Virginia Tech||4|
DEDHAM, Mass. – The No. 56 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team battled until the end and came from behind to knock off the No. 63 Boston College Eagles, 4-3, at Dedham Health & Athletic Complex in Dedham, Mass., Saturday afternoon.
Getting off to an unusual start, Tech (13-2) started off the day down a point after Boston College (3-4) took the doubles point. Tech’s Emily Lauten and Isel Martinez-Marcos seemed to get the Hokies out to a good start when they defeated Julia Casselbury/ Kelly Barry, 8-2, on Court 3 to begin doubles play. Boston College responded taking the Court 2 match 8-6 and clinching the point when Jessica Wacnik/ Alex Kelleher defeated Ilinca Stoica/ Kelly Williford, 8-5, in the top spot.
The Eagles kept things rolling into singles play as Kelleher took down Martinez-Marcos, 6-1, 6-1, on Court 2 to start things off, and they went up 3-0 on when Heini Salonen defeated Williford, 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 4 spot.
Stoica finally got the Hokies on the board when she went three sets with Wacnick and was able to pull out the 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 win. Carol Kahoun got the Hokies one step closer when she came from behind to defeat Katya Vasilyev, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (2) on Court 5.
The momentum continued to build for Tech as Raluca Mita tied the match at 3-3 after claiming a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win over Barry at the No. 3 spot.
The decision came down to Tea Ivanovic on Court 6 and she did not disappoint for the Hokies as she earned the 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 win over Wan-Yi Sweeting to clinch the match and make it seven straight wins for Tech.
The Hokies will return to the court Saturday, March 23 as they travel to Virginia for a noon match.
1. Ilinca Stoica (VT) def. Jessica Wacnick (BC) – 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. Alex Kelleher (BC) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) – 6-1, 6-1
3. Raluca Mita (VT) def. Kelly Barry (BC) – 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
4. Heini Salonen (BC) def. Kelly Williford (VT) – 6-4, 6-4
5. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Katya Vasilyev (BC) – 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (2)
6. Tea Ivanovic (VT) def. Wan-Yi Sweeting (BC) – 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
Finish: 2, 4, 1, 5, 3, 6*
1. Jessica Wacnik/ Alex Kelleher (BC) def. Ilinca Stoica/ Kelly Williford (VT) – 8-5
2. Heini Salonen/ Olga Khmylev (BC) def. Carol Kahoun/ Raluca Mita (VT) – 8-6
3. Emily Lauten/ Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Julia Casselbury/ Kelly Barry – 8-2
Finish: 3, 2, 1*
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).