CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 55 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell to the No. 32 Virginia Cavaliers, 6-1, Saturday afternoon. Tech claimed the doubles point, but was unable to get past the Cavaliers in singles play.
Tech (13-3, 2-1 ACC) got out to a good start, coming from behind to claim the doubles point. Carol Kahoun and Raluca Mita defeated Julia Elbaba/ Hana Tamljanovic, 8-2, on Court 2. Ilinca Stoica and Kelly Williford clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Stephanie Nauta and Erin Vierra at the No. 1 spot.
Virginia (8-6, 3-0 ACC) stole the momentum as singles play began, claiming victories on courts 4, 3 and 5 with ease, never dropping more than three sets. Isel Martinez-Marcos put up a fight, but was unable to get past No. 13 Julia Elbaba, falling 6-2, 7-5, on Court 2 which clinched the match for the ‘Hoos.
Stoica too fell to a nationally ranked opponent by nearly the same score on Court 1, dropping her top-spot match 6-4, 7-5 to No. 71 Stephanie Nauta.
Tea Ivanovic played in the only three-set match of the day against Caryssa Peretz on Court 6. Ivanovic too the first set 6-4, but Peretz came back and took the next two sets, 6-4, 10-6.
Tech will look to bounce back as it travels to North Carolina on Friday, March 29 for a noon match.
1. #71 Stephanie Nauta (VA) def. Ilinca Stoica (VT) 6-4, 7-5
2. #13 Julia Elbaba (VA) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-2, 7-5
3. Hana Tomljanovic (VA) def. Raluca Mita (VT) 6-1, 6-2
4. Li Xi (VA) def. Kelly Williford (VT) 6-0, 6-2
5. Erin Vierra (VA) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-3, 6-3
6. Caryssa Peretz (VA) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT) 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
Order finish: 4, 3, 5, 2, 1, 6
1. Ilinca Stoica/Kelly Williford (VT) def. Stephanie Nauta/Erin Vierra (VA) 8-4
2. Carol Kahoun/Raluca Mita (VT) def. Julia Elbaba/Hana Tomljanovic (VA) 9-7
3. Li Xi/Maria Fuccillo (VA) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos/Emily Lauten (VT) 8-2
Order Finish: 3, 1, 2
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).