CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The top-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels proved to be too much for the No. 60 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team as it fell 7-0 at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
The Hokies fell to 13-4 on the season, 2-2 in league play, while North Carolina improved to 17-1, 3-0 in the ACC.
For just the third time this season, Tech was unable to claim the early doubles point in the match. North Carolina swept doubles play, clinching the point when Ashley Dai/Zoe De Bruycker defeated Tech’s Carol Kahoun/ Raluca Mita, 8-4, on Court 2.
There wasn’t a single three-set match or tiebreak the entire day. Kate Vialle’s 6-3, 6-1 win over Hokie newcomer Kelly Williford clinched the match on Court 4 for the Tar Heel. All three of North Carolina’s ranked players breezed to victory in the top three spots. Mita put up a fight in the second set but eventually fell to No. 25 Whitney Kay in the No. 3 spot.
Tech will return to the court on Saturday, March 30 as it completes the weekend of play in North Carolina at No. 7 Duke. The match will begin at 3 p.m.
1. #9 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (NC) def. Ilinca Stoica (VT) 6-1, 6-2
2. #43 Zoe De Bruycker (NC) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-1, 6-0
3. #25 Whitney Kay (NC) def. Raluca Mita (VT) 6-1, 6-4
4. Kate Vialle (NC) def. Kelly Williford (VT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ashley Dai (NC) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-2, 6-1
6. Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 4, 1, 3, 6
1. Caroline Price/Laura Slater (NC) def. Ilinca Stoica/Kelly Williford (VT) 8-4
2. Ashley Dai/Zoe De Bruycker (NC) def. Raluca Mita/Carol Kahoun (VT) 8-4
3. Tessa Lyons/Gina Suarez-Malaguti (NC) def. Emily Lauten/Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).