DURHAM, N.C. – The No. 60 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team was unable to overcome the No. 7 Duke Blue Devils, falling 4-1 at the Ambler Tennis Stadium Saturday afternoon. Tea Ivanovic earned Tech’s only point of the day, claiming the No. 6 spot.
Tech moves to 13-5 on the year, while Duke improved to 13-3 this season.
Duke clinched the doubles point with ease, grabbing 8-1, 8-3 victories on courts two and one, respectively.
The Blue Devils kept things going in singles play as Isel Martinez-Marcos was defeated, 6-0, 6-1, by No. 52 Ester Goldfeld in the No. 2 spot and Kelly Williford fell to Annie Mulholland, 6-0, 6-2 on Court 4.
Ivanovic kept the Hokies alive when she claimed a 6-2, 6-2 win over Nicole Lipp in the No. 6 spot, but Duke sealed the victory with a 6-0, 6-4 win on Court 5, as No. 94 Marianne Jodoin defeated Carol Kahoun.
The Hokies will return to action on Friday, April 5, returning home to host NC State at 2 p.m.
1. #19 Hanna Mar (DUKE) vs. Ilinca Stoica (VT) 6-0, 3-4, unfinished
2. #52 Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-0, 6-1
3. #99 Mary Clayton (DUKE) vs. Raluca Mita (VT) 5-7, 3-1, unfinished
4. Annie Mulholland (DUKE) def. Kelly Williford (VT) 6-0, 6-2
5. #94 Marianne Jodoin (DUKE) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-0, 6-4
6. Tea Ivanovic (VT) def. Nicole Lipp (DUKE) 6-2, 6-2
Order Finish: 2,4,6,5
1. #57 Ester Goldfeld/Annie Mulholland (DUKE) def. Ilinca Stoica/Kelly Williford (VT) 8-3
2. Hanna Mar/Mary Clayton (DUKE) def. Raluca Mita/Carol Kahoun (VT) 8-1
3. Marianne Jodoin/Nicole Lipp (DUKE) vs. Isel Martinez-Marcos/Emily Lauten (VT) 3-5, unfinished
Order Finish: 2, 1
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).