BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 68 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team was unable to overcome the No. 32 Florida State Seminoles, falling 4-1 at the Burrows Burleson Tennis Center. The Hokies honored the team's two seniors, Emily Lauten and Megan Conley, prior to the match during some Senior Day festivities. Tech came from behind to win the early doubles point, but was couldn’t keep the momentum going in singles play.
Tech (13-11, 2-9 ACC) got out to a momentous start in doubles play as Ilinca Stoica and Kelly Williford picked up the first win of the day in No. 1 doubles, topping Francesca Segarelli/ Daneika Borthwick, 8-4. Play remained close on courts 2 and 3, and Emily Lauten/ Isel Martinez-Marcos came from behind to take a late lead, but they were unable to hold on and fell on court 3, 8-5 to Kerrie Cartwright/ Kristina Schleich.
The point came down to play on court 2 and Florida State (13-8, 5-5 ACC) had its back against the wall and wouldn’t give up. After numerous advantage shifts, Carol Kahoun and Raluca Mita came out on top with an 8-6 win over Mia Vriens/ Amy Sargeant.
The Hokies looked to carry their winning ways into singles play, but Florida State was ready to bounce back and got straight to work. The Seminoles battled, but were to pick up four singles victories, leaving two potential 3-set matches unfinished, to clinch the win.
1. Daneika Borthwick (FSU) def. Ilinca Stoica (VT) 6-3, 6-3
2. Raluca Mita (VT) vs. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0
3. Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-0, 6-3
4. Amy Sargeant (FSU) vs. Kelly Williford (VT) no result
5. Kerrie Cartwright (FSU) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-1, 6-4
6. Kristina Schleich (FSU) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT) 6-4, 6-3
Order Finish: 3, 1, 5, 6*
1. Ilinca Stoica/Kelly Williford (VT) def. Francesca Segarelli/ Daneika Borthwick (FSU) 8-4
2. Carol Kahoun/Raluca Mita (VT) def. Mia Vriens/ Amy Sargeant (FSU) 8-6
3. Kerrie Cartwright/ Kristina Schleich (FSU) def. Emily Lauten/Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-5
Order Finish: 1, 3, 2*
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).