HUNTINGTON, W.V. — Virginia Tech’s 52nd-ranked women’s tennis team improved to 4-2 with a 5-2 win over Marshall on Sunday afternoon.
The Hokies claimed the doubles point for the fourth time this season to begin the day. Ilinca Stoica and Kelly Williford teamed up for the first Tech win as they topped Karli Timko and Anna Pomyatinskaya 6-2 at No. 2.
Tech tallied wins in the first three singles matches to secure the team win. Mita was the first Hokie to win as she topped Timko 6-2, 6-0 at No. 5.
Stoica won 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 over Kai Broomfield to put the Hokies within one point of the win before 82nd-ranked Francesca Fusinato secured the deciding point over Oppinger 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1.
Marshall scored their two points after the match was decided. Turhan got the Herd on the board with a 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (4) win at No. 3. Pomyatinskaya added Marshall’s only other win with a 6-7 (3), 7-5, 1-0 (3) win over Isel Martinez-Marcos at No. 4.
Sansitha Nandakumar rounded out Tech’s effort at No. 6 as she defeated Rachael Morales 6-1, 7-6 (5).
Tech returns to action next weekend in a home double-header. The Hokies take on ETSU at Noon and Morgan State on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 5 p.m. in the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center
1. Francesca Fusinato/ Raluca Mita (VT) def. Dana Oppinger/ Derya Turhan (MU), 6-3
2. Ilinca Stoica/ Kelly Williford (VT) def. Karli Timko/ Anna Pomyatinskaya (MU) 6-0
3. Tea Ivanovic/ Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) vs. Kai Broomfield/ Rachael Morales (MU) DNF
Order of finish: 2,1*
1. Francesca Fusinato (VT) def. Dana Oppinger (MU) – 6-2, 6-3
2. Ilinca Stoica (VT) def. Kai Broomfield (MU) – 6-4, 6-1
3. Derya Turhan (MU) def. Kelly Williford (VT) 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (4)
4. Anna Pomyatinskaya (MU) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) – 6-7 (3), 7-5, 1-0 (3)
5. Raluca Mita (VT) def. Karli Timko (MU) – 6-2, 6-0
6. Sansitha Nandakumar (VT) def. Rachael Morales (MU) – 6-1, 7-6 (5)
Order of finish: 5,2,1*,3,4,6
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_WTennis