BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 55 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team was unable to bounce back and break even on the weekend of play, falling to the No. 12 North Carolina Tar Heels, 6-1.Despite the outcome, freshman Sansitha Nandakumar went 2-0 on the weekend as she was the only Hokie to earn a point against North Carolina.
The Tar Heels saw three nationally ranked players in action in singles play and two top-35 doubles teams. They claimed the early doubles point with ease and quickly added to their total in singles play. Sophomore Ilinca Stoica had her work cut out for her this weekend as she knocked off the No. 2 player in the country less than 24 hours prior to facing the No. 1 player in the nation, Jamie Loeb. Stoica got out to a good start, winning the first set 6-3, but she dropped the second 6-1 and was unable to outlast Loeb.
Nandakumar continued to impress from court five, but it was no easy task. Although she claimed the 6-3, 6-3 win over Tessa Lyons, she was the last player to finish.
Tech will break from conference play next week, traveling to Coastal Carolina for a 10 a.m. match on Sunday March 16.
1. #1 Jaime Loeb (UNC) def. Ilinca Stoica (VT) – 3-6, 6-1, 1-0
2. #6 Hayley Carter (UNC) def. Kelly Williford (VT) – 6-2, 6-2
3. #52 Caroline Price (UNC) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) – 6-2, 6-0
4. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Raluca Mita (VT) – 6-0, 6-3
5. Sansitha Nandakumar (VT) def. Tessa Lyons (UNC) – 6-3, 6-3
6. Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) – 6-2, 6-0
Order finish: 3, 2, 4*, 6, 1, 5
1. #9 Jamie Loeb/ Hayley Carter (UNC) def. Ilinca Stoica/ Kelly Williford (VT) – 8-4
2. #32 Kate Vialle/ Laura Slater (UNC) vs. Carol Kahoun/ Raluca Mita (VT) – DNF (7-4)
3. Ashley Dai/ Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Tea Ivanovic/ Isel Martinez-Marcos – 8-1
Order finish: 3, 2*
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_WTennis